One of the most well know eateries in Branford has a somewhat notorious past. Now known as Lenny’s Indian Head Inn, the establishment was opened in 1939 by Thomas J. and Katherine Fitzgerald. Their restaurant and tavern at South Montowese Street in Indian Neck served a shoreline menu and soon became a gathering place for the night crowd. The original Fitzgerald’s Tavern was across the street from the present site; when it moved, it officially became known as the Indian Head Inn. Despite being crippled from polio at the age of seven, Thomas Fitzgerald tended the bar until his retirement in 1966.
For the next two years, the bar operated under various management until 1968 when Leonard Conlin purchased the Indian Head Inn and it continued as a popular night spot. Now a popular seafood restaurant, Lenny’s Indian Head In still draws a lively night crowd, but it enjoys a reputation as a great family restaurant with pretty marsh views, a great traditional Shore Dinner. We now accept credit cards. Yes, it’s true!
Open for lunch and dinner daily at 11:30 am
Closed Thanksgiving and Christmas Day